Friday, November 17, 2006

Thought for the Day

"Do this in memory of me"... These words of Jesus from the gospel are the source of our coming together to celebrate the eucharist. But how can I apply them also in my daily life? Do I think of my daily prayers as a chore? What happens when I do these prayers in memory of Him? Is it difficult to relate to others or to be open to others? What happens when I live my relationship in memory of Him?

I kind of have a scientific bent to my way of thinking and am very interested to know how these little "experiments" will turn out. I can't help but thinking that if I do everything in memory of Jesus then I will make Him the center of my life and look to do His will.

I was also reading a section from Pastores Dabo Vobis today, and I can't help but think that living this way in memory of Jesus is to enter into His "Today," which John Paul speaks about... the "today" of the new and everlasting covenant, the day of salvation, the appropriate time, the moment when the time is fulfilled and the kingdom at hand, the "day" the Lord has made, the "today" for listening to the voice of the Lord, the "today" of Jesus Christ's eternal action of salvation, which will not change and which will ever continue to seek out souls to accept His Kingship and to accept His love... The "today" whereby salvation comes even to our homes, the intimate recesses of our very lives.

No comments: