Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

It's new year's eve and time for those new year's resolutions. I was looking to make all new resolutions this year when my guardian said something that struck me. He basically said it's time either to make new resolutions or to renew the ones from last year. And when I thought about it, I realized that the things I what to make resolutions about are, in fact, just continuations of last year's resolutions.

When I was writting my Christmas letter earlier this month I was quite happy that I could see that I kept my new year's resolutions from last year. Mind you, I didn't resolve to do something drastic or definitive that one could scratch off a list, like go see the Mona Lisa, but rather something which requires slow progress.

So, looking back at this past year, I could see a small amount of progress, again, nothing drastic, but still progress. This gave me, and continues to give me encouragement for future progress. Sure, it might come slowly as it did this year, but isn't the point still to make progress?

This all ties together, by the way, with the journey of faith. Our goal in the Christian life is to make progress toward perfection. As the program on Vatican Radio I woke up to the other day said (and I love how God gives me just the tidbit of encouragement I need for the day through such random things as what I wake up hearing on Vatican Radio - I have a radio alarm clock), "Our goal in the Christian life is progress, that today be better than yesterday and tomorrow better than today."

That made me realize that, yes, the goal is perfection, but not immediately (and don't think this means I'm making an excuse to not go toward perfection or to stay in sin). It is not possible for us to become perfect overnight. What is necessary is faithfulness to the journey. We have the goal in sight. We have such strong help (the Holy Spirit, Jesus our Lord, God the Father, and the prayers of the angels and saints as well as our community). This should leave us joyfull to be on the pilgrimage of faith, walking in faith, hoping that we will eventually reach our destination, full of love from a God who doesn't wait for us to reach the end of the journey before He runs towards us and embraces us where we are at so as to lead us into His house (with a ring on our fingers, sandals on our feet, new clothes, and big fat banquet)!

So, on with those old new year's resolutions! Let's renew them, and in joy, let us sing, "Leaping the mountains, bounding the hills, see how our God has come to meet us. His voice is lifted. His face is joy! Now is the season to sing our song on high!"

Et dilectus meus loquitur mihi, "Surge propera amica mea, formonsa mea, et veni! Iam enim hiemps transiit. Imber abiit et recessit. Flores apparuerunt in terra. Tempus putationis advenit. Vox turturis audita est in terra nostra. Ficus protulit grossos suos. Vineae florent dederunt odorem. Surge amica mea speciosa mea et veni! Columba mea in foraminibus petrae, in caverna maceriae, ostende mihi faciem tuam, sonet vox tua in auribus meis! Vox enim tua dulcis et facies tua decora!"

(Yeah, so I made it a secret even after my post on secret vs mystery... but here's a clue... look in the same place where the song I just sang comes from and you'll find the quote.)

Happy New Year in the Lord!

No comments: