Saturday, December 30, 2006

On the International Scene...

This might sound strange, but I feel like I should be doing penance today for what happened on the international scene... penance for the repose of the soul of a man who was convicted of brutal crimes, that he find mercy. But also, I feel like I should do penance today because of the eye for an eye mentality that continues to make capital punishment a favored means of dealing out "justice."

Obviously I am no fan of the man who died today. I know what he was convicted of and don't doubt that he was guilty. I just think that there are some punishments which can still respect life and yet deal out "justice."

Also, I feel like I should be doing penance today for the country that this man lived in, that it come to know peace and that the factions within it might learn to respect the religious differences of the entire population of that country, especially the minorities (Christians).

Let us pray for peace.

Kyrie eleison, Christe eleison, Kyrie eleison.

No comments: