Friday, March 30, 2007

A New Name 2

Continuing the reflection on not doing things for the glory of my own name...

Every Friday we read a section from the Rule of the Order of Friars Minor (written by St. Francis in 1223). Today we heard chapter one, which begins, "In the name of the Lord begins the Life of Friars Minor." That means that this life I look to live has to be in the name of Jesus, the name above all names, the only name given to man in which there is salvation. Jesus.

"In the name of the Lord..." (it almost reminded me of the opening of the Koran) but I couldn't help but think about what it would mean if I went around making sure that everything I do is in the name of the Lord, that is, if I were to realize that I live for someone else, as a messenger for someone else. That is a pretty big responsibility, and it means that everything I do would reflect back on the one in whose name I am supposed to be acting. It also reminded me of being an ambassador, for whom to is the normal course of a day's work to represent another, to do something in the name of another (in the case of an ambassador, in the name of the government whom he or she represents).

And yet, it is not only my life as a friar that is to be lived int he name of another. Every prayer I pray as a Christian begins "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." This also makes me an ambassador of the Holy Trinity (who has saved us!).

Each and every single one of us as baptized Christians are emissaries of the Holy Trinity. Not to mention that it is in this name that we are baptized and sent to proclaim the good news by living holy lives and using words to testify to the truth about God and His love for humankind when necessary. This means we are called to live lives that give glory to God's name.

No comments: