Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Trust

Walking through St. Peter's Square the other day, I noticed a father playing with his three year old daughter.

He picked her up, put her on one of the small pillars in the square and held out his arms for her to jump and for him to catch her.


The first time, the little girl looked unsure.

She hesitated, looked down at her feet and then back a her father.


Her father gestured to her as if to say "I'm going to catch you," and after a bit more hesitation, she hopped into his arms.


There, in her father's arms she smiled the biggest smile.


Seeing her throw herself into his arms made me pause to watch even more intently.


Her father then put her back on the pillar and held out his arms again, inviting her to jump once more.


Again, she looked tentatively at her feet and at her father.


She readied herself and, with a little less hesitation, hopped once again into her father's open arms.


And then he put her back on the pillar again. And she jumped again into his arms, with more confidence.


And is it not the case with us and God the Father? Each time He holds out His arms to catch us and invites us to trust that He will catch us. We hesitate. Finally we jump. We find ourselves back in another position where we have to throw ourselves into His arms, abandon ourselves to him. We hesitate less, knowing that He caught us before and seeing that He is still holding out His arms for us to jump into. And again and again until we slowly learn to place all our trust in His loving providence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you, Brother Chris. I look forward to reading more of your blog entries. I happened upon this link whilst reading about beloved John Paul II. I find your writing inspiring, and hopeful. By the way, if you like Young Frankenstein, you'll surely enjoy Clue! God bless you.

D.J.

Br. Chris Gaffrey, ofm said...

D.J., Thank you kindly for the encouragement. I do in fact, enjoy Clue! ..."I am your singing telegram... (bang!)"... though it's been a while since I've seen it.

Pia said...

Hi Br. Chris. I was in St. Peter's square last weekend, just a few days after your post...I even saw a brother I thought could be you but I wasn't sure if you wore the brown or black habit. He was in brown. Preparations were underway for the celebration of the Azione Cattolica mass on Sunday the 4th of May. I was there on Saturday afternoon.

Steve said...

Br. Chris (or is it Fr. Chris?), What a beautiful story!Thank you for sharing it!